I got the idea to make this from the last dessert E made which I wasn’t crazy for. Everyone else liked them. They liked this dessert better! 😉
This is what you will need: Rice Krispies (aka rice bubbles), marshmallows, chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and crushed pretzels.
Start off by making Rice Krispie treats. I always get rave reviews on my treats. There are 3 reasons why I think I receive kudos about my RKT.
1. Less butter
2. I don’t over heating the marshmallows
3. I’m kind to the rice bubbles. I’m gentle when stirring and again when spreading them in the pan. I try to keep them as whole as possible. Store bought RKT, while tasty, are all squashed, crushed.
E hadn’t eaten breakfast, so I started making them and she jumped in later.
Place the marshies and 2-3 tablespoons of butter in a glass bowl, microwave for 1 min, and stir well, about 10 second.
Microwave for an additional 20-30 seconds at a time being careful not to over heat the marshmallows. Stirring it well will melt the remaining marshmallows even if some are still not completely melted. Just keep stirring ;). If needed, microwave and stir in 10 second intervals.
Add the peanut butter and mix well.
Immediately pour the rice bubbles into the marshmallow mixture and stir well.
Once mixed, immediately pour into your 13X9 pan.
Using a greased spatula, spread the mixture in the greased pan. I actually spray the backside of a spatula and gently move the rice bubbles around.
They will not have a flat surface, but the more nooks and crannies you have = more nooks and crannies for the chocolate and pretzels to settle into!
Now it’s time to melt the chocolate with ~ 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave for about a minute.
Add the melted chocolate to the crushed pretzels.
We took ours to church for a luncheon today.
When I took Q back to the kitchen to help out, they had been cut right away. They were a bit messy as they hadn’t set yet. This will be a good make ahead treat! I had to hurry and take some pictures of them before they were set out. You can see they are still a bit shiny-wet, but they were starting to set!
Look at how the pretzels and chocolate settle into the nooks and crannies!
I love homemade Rice Krispie Treats.
I love chocolate covered pretzels.
Two great tastes that taste great together! Hahahaha! Do you remember the Reeses Peanut Butter Cup commercial?
Chocolate Pretzel Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 C rice bubbles cereal
- 1 bag of chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli 60%)
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 2 C coarsely crushed pretzels (I used Fahlers)(place in a bag and crush with any hard object being careful not to split the bag 😉 )
- 1/3 C peanut butter (I used Kraft…from Cananda, yum!)
- 2-4 T butter divided
- Microwave the marshmallows and 2-3 T butter until completely melted
- Pour marshmallow mixture over 5-6 C of rice bubble type cereal
- Spread gently in a greased 13X9 pan
- Microwave 1 bag of chocolate chips with 1T butter until melted.
- Pour chocolate mixture over coarsely chopped pretzels and incorporate well.
- Spoon chocolate mixture over rice bubble mixture spreading evenly.
- Let it rest for 1-2 hours or until set.
- Cut and Enjoy!
You can get creative with this recipe. If E and Q would eat them, I’d try crushed peanuts in the chocolate mixture as well as the pretzels. YUM! You could also add more cereal to the chocolate…Chex cereal, more rice bubbles, chocolate crispies, Cherrios, etc….
Next time: A cut lil thing with this gorgeous material.