These are my favorite chocolate chip squares because they are so ooey and gooey! I haven’t made them in a while, so now was a good time for E to try her hand at making them. We go to Grandma and Pop Pop’s house every Sunday for dinner, so she’s really enjoys making a contribution! She said to me while she was making these this morning, “I really like that we get to bake once a week.” 🙂
Here is how she did it! Everything is here except the chocolate chips.
When a recipe says to cream the butter and sugar….you can tell that it’s creamed because the color lightens….like above. As she scrapped it down(see below), you can see the part of the wet ingredients that hadn’t been mixed in, therefore it’s not creamed yet.
Add the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. E’s is a little less wet because she went lighter on the coconut oil.
Add 1 C chocolate chips. E used two different kinds, Ghiradelli and Wilbur’s.
Divide the batter….put 2/3 into a greased 9X13 pan and pat it out.
Time to start the middle layer: 2 C chocolate chips and the sweetened condensed milk.
Melt the chips.
Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix well.
Pour the chocolate over the bottom layer and smooth it out as best you can. It will start to cool off and will be hard to manipulate.
Plop the remaining 1/3 batter on top of the middle layer of chocolate. E formed these blobs because she of the coconut oil and using a wee bit less.
25 minutes later!
You thought that piece looked good? Check out the one that’s next! Mmmmmmmm!
These are so gooey and scrumptious. A little scoop of ice cream goes really well with it too 🙂
Chocolate Chip Squares
13X9 pan 350* for 25 minutes
1C butter (E used no aroma coconut oil, ~3/4 C)
1C white sugar
1C packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (E used vanilla bean 1/4 tsp.)
3 1/2 C flour (I had a mix of white and whole wheat because some time ago, I’d dumped some ww in the bottom of my white whole wheat container and that’s what was left. I need to buy more 😉 )
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (E used a pinch)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 C chocolate chips (E used a combination of Ghiradelli, Wilbur’s minis, and Hershey milk chocolate.)
1. Cream the butter and sugar till creamy, then add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
2. Combine the dry ingredients then add it to the wet and mix.
3. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips to the batter.
4. Pat 2/3 of the batter onto the 13X9 pan to make an even layer.
1. Slowly melt 2 C of chocolate chips in the microwave. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Work quickly as the sweetened condensed milk will cool the chips and make them clump. If they do, that’s okay, just keep going.
2. Spread the chocolate mixture over the bottom layer.
1. Take the remaining 1/3 of the batter and drop by blobs onto the middle layer.
Bake at 350* for 25 minutes. Resist the urge to cut it when it comes out…cool completely 🙂
Next time: something from the machine :), I promise!